The mesmerizing islands of Hawaii offer great opportunities for adventure lovers to bask in nature’s beauty. They are heaven for fun and adventurous outdoor activities such as hiking. The crouching lion hike on Oahu presents a lifetime opportunity to the adventure enthusiasts to soak in the scenic beauty and witness incredible natural wonders. Let’s explore seven unknown facts about the challenging crouching lion hike on Oahu and the trail leading towards it:
- Situated about 45-60 minutes from Waikiki, Crouching Lion hike on Oahu is brief but the gradient is steep. On your way, you will find smaller trails leading to cliffs, rock formations, and small caves. After reaching the summit, you can savor the spectacular vistas of scintillating Kahana Bay, the charming mountainous town of Kaaawa, Pacific Ocean, and the intimidating cliffs of Pu’u Manamana. The panoramic scenes truly make the place worth visiting for. However, you have to be cautious while walking around the mini-summit.
- The hiking trail is challenging and strenuous which covers 4 miles. You will need 4-5 hours to cover it. It is challenging for adventure lovers and tourists alike because of its steep gradient and dangerous terrain. There are also twisted tree roots and stooping branches on the trail that makes traversing difficult. However, after reaching the first level of the summit, if you feel you cannot continue anymore, then you can call it quits.
- There are fragments of the hiking route where you have to depend on the ropes to help you on your way upwards. But it does not involve vertical rope climbing and you don’t have to rely on a stranger’s rope tying capabilities.
- The elevation becomes the biggest difficulty as you move upwards. So it’s not the time but the height that concerns the tourists and adventure enthusiasts. One wrong move can prove disastrous.
- The trailhead of the crouching lion hike on Oahu is situated in between a “Do Not Pass” sign and a telephone pole. Since there are no markings of the trail, the whole place gives a feeling that you will head directly into the bushes. But once you start taking a few steps, you will see the markings of the trail.
- Since the hiking trail is dangerous and steep, you must take the assistance of local guides or people who have navigated the track before. It will make your hike to the crouching lion safe and enjoyable. Some of the vital things you must carry with you while hiking is boots, backpack, gloves, sunscreen lotion, camera, water, and snacks.
- The best time to hike to crouching lion is when the weather is sunny and dry. You will get a 360-degree view of the spectacular and bountiful natural beauties around you and be able to capture them through your camera flawlessly. Besides muddy rain-fed trails are always risky and slippery, so a sunny day would be perfect both for hiking as well as for taking photographs.
You need to avoid hiking during the late afternoon because that is the prime sunshine time and with the harshest light beaming down over your head, you would not be able to take photographs.
Without hiking on Crouching Lion, your trip to Hawaii will surely remain incomplete. The mini-summit hike is ideal for both beginners and average hikers. But after that trekking becomes precarious and only advanced hikers should proceed. If are you an adventurer lover you should seriously include the adventure in your itinerary to Hawaii and have unlimited fun and excitement. With, proper arrangements, better fitness levels, local guidance and safety precautions you can surely have the best time of your life!!